Damon Albarn works tirelessly on music. This we know. He also does so with a remarkable eye to quality, even when the quantity seems like it would be enough to break other musicians backs. So, with the previous rumblings and, now, announcement of what we have just been referring to as “Damon Albarn’s Congo project,” there was litte doubt that this would be something we would want to pay attention to.
Released as DRC Music, the album is titled Kinshasa One Two and features a lengthy list of collaborators: XL Recordings head Richard Russell, Dan the Automator, Actress, Kwes, Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, Jneiro Jarel, Marc Antoine, Alwest, Remi Kabaka, and Rodaidh McDonald, as well as a number of local musicians who participated in the five day recording sessions. The album will be released digitally on October 4th and physically on November 8th.
Below, we have a number of gifts, including the tracklist, a trailer for the record, and three album cuts for you to listen to. Enjoy.
Kinshasa One Two:
1. Hallo [ft. Tout Puissant Mukalo and Nelly Liyemge]
2. K-Town [ft. N’Gotshima and Bebson]
3. African Space Anthem (A.S.A) [ft. Ewing Sima of Tout Puissant Mukalo]
4. Love [ft. Love ]
5. Lingala [ft. Bokatola System and Evala Litongo]
6. Lourds [ft. Yende Bongongo of Okwess International]
7. Respect of the Rules [ft. Loi X Liberal]
8. We Come From the Forest [ft. Bokatola System]
9. Customs [ft. Bokatola System]
10. Virginia [ft. Magakala Virginia Yollande and Yowa Hollande]
11. Ah Congo [ft. Jupiter Bokondji and Bokatola System ]
12. Three Piece Sweet part 1&2 [ft. Bebson]
13. If You Wish to Stay Awake [ft. Washiba]
14. Departure [ft. Bokatola System ]
We talk with Israeli rockers Vaadat Charigim about some of their favorite records.
We talk with Yvonne Ambree and Jesse Barnes of Take Berlin about some of the records which influenced the recording of their debut EP, Lionize.
We talk with Josh Berwanger about a few of his favorite records.
Latest posts from The Film Stage